Monday, March 19, 2018

Colors

Colors in films are not just coincidences or accidents. Film makers carefully make decisions about colors that affect the whole film, even if we do not realize it. One of the main reasons why color is so important is because they make the audience feel. I did not really understand the importance of colors until I did some research and found an article called: How color helps a movie tell its story. It showed me how some of my favorite movies use colors without me even realizing it. For example in the incredibles when Mr. Incredible works at his desk, the colors are grey and dulled to represent depression. I always wondered why that scene made me feel uncomfortable and now I realize it is all because of the color in the scene. Many times we do not realize how important colors are because they work on a subconscious level.

As I was researching about colors I found another article called: How to use color in films. This showed me that different colors have different psychological effects on the audience. For example red makes the audience think of love and passion while yellow shows madness and sickness.The article also showed me that their are three main components of color which are hue, saturation, and value. The article also showed me that it is important to balance the colors so it is pleasant in the viewers eye. But one of the most important things that the article showed me is that even a slight change in color can make the audience confused. For example if you are trying to show love but accidentally show pink, this can confuse the audience and make them think of playfulness.

Color is an extremely powerful tool that I want to use in my film. Lat week one of the members in my groups used color in his movie opening and it looked great. It looked very complex but when I asked him what he used he said it was just a light changing lightbulb. It amazed me that something so simple can make a film seem so powerful. This inspired me to want to use colors in my movie opening. A color that I will probably use in my film opening is pink because pink shows playfulness and since my film opening is a dark comedy I do not want the audience to take the jokes literally. I also have to be careful to not use the wrong colors because this can confuse the audience.

Bibliography:
How color helps a movie tell its story. (2017, April 06). Retrieved March 19, 2018, from https://ideas.ted.com/how-color-helps-a-movie-tell-its-story/

How to Use Color in Film: 50 Examples of Movie Color Palettes. (2018, March 06). Retrieved March 19, 2018, from https://www.studiobinder.com/blog/how-to-use-color-in-film-50-examples-of-movie-color-palettes/

No comments:

Post a Comment