Saturday, March 17, 2018

Group Meeting

Yesterday we met in groups for the first time. We were separated into groups with people who we are not doing our movie opening with and the purpose of this activity was to get feedback about your project and help other people with their projects. Before we did this I was very skeptical because I felt like this was not going to work and I was scared that someone might take my idea. But good thing that I was wrong because this activity was extremely helpful. Not only was I able to help others, but the feedback I received was also great and it will help make my movie opening even better. The only problem was that I was not able to explain my idea as well as I wanted too, so I do not think my group got what I was going for. But they were still very helpful and even gave me names of  some dark comedies that I should watch in order to get ideas for my movie opening. Nick also got some great feedback from his group that was very helpful.

Some feedback that Nick and I both got from our groups was that our idea was too long. We are trying to fit too much information and scenes into 2 minutes so we should shorten it. The point of a movie opening is too get the audience intrigued in your movie, not show them everything that is going to happen. My group told me that in order to fix this, I should cut out everything that is not important to the main plot of the movie opening. In our movie opening I have several scenes about the main characters life that are not important to the movie opening. We are going to remove many of these scenes in order to not add to much information too the movie opening. Since our movie opening is about our main characters past life, we were going to cut to him as he talks about the flashback and then cut to the flashback. But I realized that this is too time consuming so we are going to have to change this too.

One of the members in my group gave me a great idea. We were originally going to start of  the movie with our main character in a psychologists room and him being questioned about his life and then continuously cutting back to him. But like I said before this is very time consuming so he told me instead that the main character should just be asked a question like "tell me about your past life and what led to you being here today", and I should show all of the flashback at once instead of cutting back to our main character walking. And he also said to use a voiceover which I already researched how to do, so it should not be too complicated to do this. Another problem we got is that our film seemed too expensive because of all our props and locations. Because of this I researched and found an article called: How to make a short film with practically no budget!  The article talked about how all I really need is a computer, a digital camcorder and some kind of editing software. It also said that I do not need all these props and gadgets as long as my story is good. It also advised me that I should try to get some good actors in order too make my movie opening even better and not depend on money.

Bibliography: 
How to make a short film with practically no budget! (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.filmconnection.com/reference-library/film-entrepreneurs/short-film-no-budget/

No comments:

Post a Comment