Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Costume design

Costume design is extremely important in all movies. There is even a special team assigned to just working on costume design. Costume designers work closely with the director in order to match the directors vision. And it is not as easy at it seems. Costume designers have to do a lot of research in order to make the wardrobes which the actors wear. If the movie is in the past, they have to do research to see what people wore during that period of time and make sure they don't make any mistakes. They also have to make sure that the outfits balance the scheme with the texture and color. They also have to make sure the outfits match the socioeconomic status of the characters. Designers seek to enhance a characters personality with the outfits they wear. Not only this but there are also diffrent types of costumes designers such as freelance, residential, and academic.

In our film opening costume design is going to be very important. We have to make sure that our actors wear similar clothing because they are all suppose to be the same person. If they wear diffrent clothing the audience might not get that this is the same person but in diffrent stages of his life. I am thinking of having all 3 of my actors wear all black clothing. I picked black because I know that  all my actors can get an easy access to black wardrobe. Also because black represents the depression in the characters life. Like I said before it is important that the wardrobe balances the scheme with texture and color. Black matches with anything so this will make the process of balancing colors easier. I do not have to worry a lot about the period of time interfering with the outfits because our movie opening takes place in the present. But we do have to worry about socioeconomic status because our main character is poor so I have to make sure his clothes is ripped up and worn out.

I believe we will do a good job with our wardrobe because it is not complex. But I do have a problem  with our film. I have been telling several people like my friends and family about my idea and the scenes in our movie opening. I tell them because I like getting feedback and in order to know if I am on the right track. I always tell them to be extremely honest because I see it as constructive criticism instead of negative. One thing that several of them have told me is that they like the ideas but that we should switch up the scenes. Some of them tell me I should switch it up by showing more of the main characters life and others tell me that I should show less of his life and add more comedic scenes. Nick and I are not sure what we are going to do yet but we are going to meet up one of these days before we film and improve some of our scenes.

Bibliography:
Costume design. (2018, March 06). Retrieved March 21, 2018, from https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costume_design



No comments:

Post a Comment