Sunday, March 4, 2018

We Finally have an Idea!

My partner Nick and I were able to meet on Friday and keep the brainstorming process going. We originally had three ideas that we thought off on Wednesday, but then we realized that we do not have the equipment or the locations to do any of them.  So we threw all these ideas away and decided to think of a new one that still falls under the thriller genre.  After many bad ideas we finally thought of a good one. We want to make our movie opening about a man who has been kidnapped and his attempt to escape before he is killed. I know this sounds very simple and has been done before many times, but we are going to add several techniques to our movie opening in order to make it different and better than the rest.

One technique we are using is a plot twist.  According to Definitions.Net, a plot twist is a change in the direction or expected outcome of the plot of a film, novel, or other form of narration. The purpose of a plot twist is to introduce a radical change, which will cause an emotion in the audience. In our movie opening we want to play with the viewers feeling so they are unsure of what is going to happen next. Writing a good plot twist can be difficult so as I was researching how to write a  strong one, I came across a great article named:10 simple tricks for writing clever plot twists. One tip the article talked about that I believe is very important is to approach your story as a reader. While I am writing the plot twist I have to constantly put myself in the readers mind. If I see that theres a chance that the reader can foresee my plot twist, then they probably can and I need to change it. The article gave me many great tips that I will be using as I write my story.

One problem that might limit us while making the Movie opening is location. The location can be as important as the film itself. Finding an easily accessible location that fits in with your movie can be a challenge. I live in Weston, and one of the only accessible locations is Town Center, but that does not fit in with the movie opening idea we have in mind so it will not work. Our movie is mostly going to take place inside, so we will probably use a house, but we will need to use mise en scene elements in order to make the house look like we want it too. As I was researching, I found a great article called: Ways to create space when filming in a small area. The article showed which angles and colors to use in order to trick the mind into thinking there is more space. The article also talked about where to stand actors and how to use shadows to create space. I will use all these techniques and keep researching more in order to make my movie opening the best it can be.

Bibliography:

Robins, K., Bradshaw, C., & S, J. (2017, April 26). 10 Simple Tips For Writing Clever Plot Twists. Retrieved March 04, 2018, from https://writersedit.com/fiction-writing/10-simple-tips-writing-clever-plot-twists/

Translations for plot twist. (n.d.). Retrieved March 04, 2018, from https://www.definitions.net/definition/plot%20twist

Academy, N. Y. (2016, September 23). Ways to Create Space When Filming in a Small Area. Retrieved March 04, 2018, from https://www.nyfa.edu/student-resources/ways-to-create-space-when-filming-in-a-small-area/

Hoffman, S. (2016, June 03). Choosing the right film location | AIDY Reviews... Retrieved March 04, 2018, from http://aidyreviews.net/choosing-the-right-film-location/

No comments:

Post a Comment