Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Dialogue

Dialogue has been around since the beginning of film, even in old silent films with title cards. It is important because it explains the plot, creates character development, and allows the audience to have form a bond with the characters. It also helps the plot move forward. But writing realistic and effective dialogue can be very hard. Dialogue has to sound clever and unique or the audience will get bored. I looked up some examples in order to get inspiration for my dialogue and found a great article called: elements of cinema. They showed me a great example from the movie The Exorcist, when the priest was asked if he wanted tea, instead of saying yes or no, he replies with "Well, my doctor says I shouldn't. But thank God my will is weak. " In this sentence he says yes and no which makes the dialogue more interesting then just saying a one word answer.

We are making a dark comedy, so we have to rely on dialogue like most comedy do. We need to make the audience laugh but that is something that can be hard to do. It is hard because comic dialogue has to keep up with the characters personality. I also have to create the right situation in which the character says it. An example of comedic dialogue is in Thelma and Louise when Thelma says, "Daryl doesn't have a cute butt like that. You could park a car in the shadow of his ass." These remarks are not only funny but they also foreshadow the affair that is going to happen later in the movie.

I already have some idea of the dialogue I am going to incorporate. I just hope that the audience has my same sense of humor and laughs at the jokes and their isn't any awkward silences. Another problem that I am worried about is the camera. In all the examples I've seen the groups always have great cameras that make the film look professional. But neither Nick and I have a good camera, all we have is our phones. I do not want to use a phone because when films are shot with a phone it usually makes the film look very bad, even if the idea is good. I do not have the money to buy one So I am just going to see of my friends have one and ask them to borrow it.

Bibliography:
Dialogue. (n.d.). Retrieved March 26, 2018, from http://www.elementsofcinema.com/screenwriting/dialogue.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment